Sunday, October 08, 2006

MySpace


I finally succumbed to MySpace and created a simple account. I had been putting off the inevitable for years and decided that this weekend I would add myself to the masses on MySpace.

MySpace pages have a certain level of notoriety for having garish design and a tendency to overwhelm the senses. I wanted to create a fairly simplified page. More for experimentation than anything.

There are two great resources that I have come across for improving the look and feel of your MySpace page:
  1. Mike Davidson’s “Hacking A More Tasteful MySpace” provides a CSS redesign and images which you can use to good effect. The CSS file keeps MySpace elements in the same place. Adapting Mike’s files to your uses is simply a matter of creating four new images and minor changes to a CSS file.
  2. Eston Bond’s “The web designer’s guide to MySpace” is a more complex affair (but still straightforward to follow). Eston provides a detailed explanation of how to breakdown and recreate the MySpace elements and create a personalized page.
Both resources are well worth investigating.

No comments: